Wednesday, January 20, 2016

20 January 2016 - Homework for All Classes

English II

I noticed that some of you are missing the Persepolis movie review only at the last minute.  If this applies to you please make sure that you email this assignment to me or bring me a hard copy tomorrow.  I must finalize my grades at noon, so the work needs to be in soon.

Remember what I said today in class.  It's just me for the rest of the year and there are no more second chances.  Do what you need to do and be consistent - you'll be fine.  Don't repeat the same mistakes.

AP English III

I also want all of you to take to heart what I said today about missing work and expectations.  Remember that it's just me for the rest of the year - we have a lot of heavy lifting ahead of us before we hit the AP Exam in May.

For homework tonight you should read and annotate Zora Neale Hurston's "How It Feels To Be Colored Me".  As you read the text, pay attention to the elements of Hurston's voice in the piece (tone, diction, and tone shifts).  Also, notice elements of African American culture at the time like music, dance, and the idea of Africa.  This piece is also highly focused on her identity as an African American woman.  Notice how she constructs this in the text.

We'll be working through this text as we do our introduction to The Harlem Renaissance and using this text as an exemplar of the movement.  Be ready for a fun Friday!

No comments: