Tonight you need to read section two of Gogol's "The Overcoat". As you read, make sure to complete the following tasks:
- Collect five new vocabulary words. Collect more if you want, but five is the minimum.
- Take notes on the symbol of Akaky's coat. Why do you think it is important? What does it symbolize?
- Take notes on how Akaky changes as a person - go back to what we've discussed in section one and compare how he is now in section two. What causes these changes?
Don't forget we will have a quiz on Monday to start class on section two. If you take good notes you'll do well on the quiz!
AP English III:
Over the weekend you'll be reading one of the most difficult things of the entire year, Ralph Waldo Emerson's "The Over Soul". I'm telling you now that it's difficult to encourage you to work hard on this. As you read - here are some tips:
- Use paragraph three as his argument. In this piece he is defining an abstract concept. Use the later paragraphs as examples of the concept.
- Consider the purpose of each paragraph. What is it telling you? How does it help to clarify the argument he is presenting about "The Over Soul"?
- Use the five traits of Transcendentalism to help you make sense of this - How do you see him working these ideas into his article?
- Use Jim Casy to help you make sense of all of this. Remember that Steinbeck is putting a lot of this philosophy into practice with Ma, Casy and Tom. Use Grapes of Wrath to help you make sense of this piece.
- Develop questions - if you want you can post them as a comment here and I'll try to respond through the weekend.