Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The First A-day of the New Year

The first A-day of the year brings with it literary three by three games and a long lecture on syntax. A few things to work on tonight for Freshmen and Seniors.

Freshmen: Today I gave you the due date for your essays. The first due date for essays is 1/6 and 1/7. The second due date for essays is 1/10 and 1/11. Students who would like to opt for the second due date should come and see me to request an extension to the second due date. I'll be available after school on Wednesday and Friday. I would recommend that you come and see me if you are having any problems with your essays; even if you're not having problems, I'd recommend bringing me a draft to read through.

There's no reading homework for tonight. If you would like to read ahead, please do so. I do encourage rereading of chapters and passages so that it is fresh in your mind. If today's discussion was difficult for you to participate in, please reread the chapter for our next meeting.

Seniors:

I threw a lot at you today in terms of syntax and syntactical analysis. I'm not going to recount everything, but I would like to stress a few things. First, remember that syntax is a component amongst many used by an author to create meaning. You can't simply discuss syntax (well, you can, but it's wonky), but it's best to use syntax as another part along with diction, imagery and other literary devices. It's all about showing how the author creates the meaning. Those of you working on a literary analysis will want to include a discussion of syntax. It really tends to round out and create depth in your analysis.

Tomorrow we're going to the library to work on papers. We'll be in there the whole period. I'll be conferencing with each of you about your progress in the course, your website work, and your papers. Be prepared to work hard tomorrow.

Lastly, we've not spent any time talking about Act IV - I apologize for that. We will review it Thursday before beginning Act V.

Let me know if you've got any questions or comments!

No comments: