Thursday, September 26, 2013

Homework for A-Day Students - 9/26/2013

AP English III

Let me begin this post by saying how impressed I was by both classes today.  Your attention to detail and the depth of our discussion today was absolutely fantastic.  Remember that we really only looked at several small pieces of the overall "Letter", yet we were able to fill over an hour with solid discussion.  Way to go.  Here are your reminders for tonight.

1.  Remember that you will have your unit test on October 4th.  Any text that we have read in this opening unit is fair game for your exam.  To prepare for the test I would recommend that you write sample questions and then time yourself as you write your responses.  This test will be made up of several short answers.  Practice!

2.  We will begin our study of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby during the week of October 7th.  Please have a copy of the text.  You can purchase a used copy, which is totally fine with me or you can get a new one.  If you need me to furnish you with a copy of the text, please let me know in advance.

3.  Your final reading selection for this unit is E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake" -- You can find it in 50 Essays or at this link.  As you read, be sure to focus on the rhetorical effect of White's use of detail and description.  It's a beautiful piece that reminds me a lot of summers in Alaska.  I hope you all enjoy it.

Russian I

Congratulations!  You've survived your first unit exam.  I'll be working hard to get them graded and returned to you early next week.  If you still have gaps in your alphabet knowledge it is imperative that you shore up those gaps this weekend.  As I've said consistently in class, "I can't learn this for you.  I already learned it for myself."  Commit to memorizing the alphabet and internalizing it.

Over the weekend you should be learning your new vocabulary.  Read the words several times and practice using them.  We will begin next week by investigating the grammar of the Russian language.  It's about to get harder and much more intense from here on out, be sure that you're ready.

No comments: