Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homework for A-Day Students - 1/23/2014

Students,

Here are your assignments to take you through the weekend.  Please make sure to pay attention to the details.

AP English III

I hope that you all enjoyed our musical analysis and poetry work today.  I think that these pieces do a very good job of setting the context for the Harlem Renaissance as well as helping all of you to understand some very important elements of our upcoming novel.  For the weekend I want you to read "How It Feels To Be Colored Me" by Zora Neale Hurston.  This piece is available in 50 Essays or at this link.  As you read, keep attention to your key motifs of identity, gender, and race.  Also, pay attention to the use of diction that Hurston employs.  There's a lot of coded language in the piece which I hope that you will be able to uncover in your reading.

Read and annotate heavily.  Also, you should get started on Invisible Man so that you aren't thrown off when I give you the reading schedule.

Russian I

Now I can officially welcome all of you to the second semester.  Today in class we went over the basic system of making plurals in the nominative case as well as some exceptions to the basic system.  This weekend for homework you will complete additional practice to fully learn this system.

You need to complete on a separate sheet of paper the following:

  • EITHER exercise 76 OR 79
  • EITHER exercise 77 or 78
  • EVERYONE completes exercise 80.
Exercise 1 on the opposite side is available for extra practice.  Exercise 2A is meant for you to work with reading and translation.  You do not need to complete these exercises for grading.

Next class I will collect your НАЧАЛО sheets and your homework for this weekend.  I will be checking the homework for accuracy!  If you are missing a НАЧАЛО due to absence be sure to make that note on your paper.  Here is the list of what I'll be checking on the НАЧАЛО sheets:
  • 12/16 (A day) or 12/17 (B day) - The Real Russia:  Grocery Store.
  • 12/18 or 12/19 - Cultural Information on Russian New Year and Christmas.
  • 12/20 or 1/6 - Dehydrated Sentences
  • 1/13 or 1/14 - Topics to Review for Studying
  • 1/23 or 1/24 - Dictation of New Vocabulary
I hope that this gives everyone the information they need to get caught up.  Remember that I am available outside of class for additional assistance.

No comments: