Thursday, January 19, 2012

The End of the Nine Weeks

And thus ends another quarter and the first semester.  Just a few reminders for the weekend.

AP English III:


We're about to begin what I would consider to be our capstone piece for the year, Invisible Man.  I'm very excited about teaching this book and reading it with a large group of students.  I just read it for the first time last year, so I hope that you'll help me connect some dots in a few places.

I strongly urge that you do all purchase a copy of this book as we will be spending a lot of time with it - an entire nine weeks.  My edition is the one with this cover:

(Thanks, Amazon.com and Vintage International)

Of course our editions don't have to match.  We seem to do quite well with helping each other out in finding pages in different editions.  We'll begin reading on our schedule not next week, but the week after - the 30th/31st.  

I would encourage all of you to start reading in advance, this is a difficult book to start until you find your rhythm with the narrator.  If any of you would like to check out a copy until you get your own to read in advance, I've already picked some up from the bookroom.

Other than that, relax.  Take a load off.  But do get a copy of the book ASAP!

English I:

We'll be starting in earnest on our study of Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I'm very excited to start this with you.  I've already introduced our first major component which is the Drama/Shakespeare project.  Try to decide on a play over the weekend, I'll be collecting titles soon from you - most likely Tuesday and Wednesday.  Please remember that any play not listed on your handout will need to be approved by me in advance.  You must bring me a copy of the whole play for my approval.  

If you haven't had a chance to look over the introductory information on Billy Shakes and England of his time, then I'd navigate to the online textbook (or the paper book) to pages 776 and read as well as take notes until page 783.  There's a lot of good information here which we'll go over to begin the unit on Tuesday/Wednesday.

BTW, Freshmen, Young Jeezy's coming to visit class next week.  I think.

No comments: