Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Announcements and Reminders for Spring Break!

I may be counting my chickens before they're hatched since it's not technically tomorrow yet, but we made it.  I know that I need this vacation, so I know that you all need it too.  If you're in my AP classes you do have work to do over the break, here are those reminders for you.

AP English IV

Today we finished reading Twelfth Night, so now you can really begin in earnest on your essays.  I want to remind you of two things:  first, since we didn't get to review outlines today I'm making myself available tomorrow and also after we get back from break to look at these before you begin to draft.  The drafts of the essays are going to be workshopped on Friday, April 12th.  Be ready for this date.  Second, remember that you will have a timed writing the day we return from break on Twelfth Night.  You can't really study for this, but I don't want you to be unprepared and surprised.

Furthermore, over break, make sure that you find yourself a copy of A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

AP English III

Now that you have your outlines returned to you, you can begin to draft; however, many of you need to work on your outlines further before you can begin to draft.  Remember that this is an argumetative research paper - at this point many of you have thesis statements which rely on simple truths and aren't making a claim.  Remember that there has to be an overall idea you are trying to prove here.  Get to that point at the very beginning -- What are you trying to say about the topic you've chosen?

Furthermore, you have approximately 140 pages of reading from Invisible Man over break.  Remember, that's around fourteen pages a day, so I have a hard time not being mean about it.  You'll be reading a lot, so keep up with your motifs (either in books or on a separate  sheet), your vocabulary, and your notes.  Remember - quiz on these chapters (13-19) when we return from Break!

No comments: