Friday, September 30, 2011

Homework for All Classes - 9/30/2011

I know that yesterday and today have been a bit hectic. I want to use this post to reiterate what needs to get done before you all come to class on Monday/Tuesday.

AP English III:

Over the weekend I would like for all of you to read Thoreau's "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For" - it can be found in 50 Essays or at the following link. As you read, please annotate. Think especially about what we were talking about with "The Over-Soul" and Emerson's other pieces. In class on Monday/Tuesday we will dive deeper into Transcendentalism by discussing Emerson's "Nature" and "Self-Reliance" as well as a bit of this Thoreau. Please have everything read and considered before you walk in.

Also, I will be collecting vocabulary bookmarks next week to begin our vocabulary process. I'm looking for twenty complete entries.

English I:

Over the weekend you all need to read "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell - it can be found on page five of your textbook. As you read I would like for you to do something. Once you finish reading a full two pages of the story, I would like for you to write down one quotation from those two pages and next to the quote write a brief explanation as to why you wrote it down. For example, if you see suspense or imagery in a quote, you would then want to include that in your response. These quote logs will be helpful in beginning to discuss the story on Monday/Tuesday.

Also on Monday/Tuesday you all will have your first district assessment. To prepare for this, I would recommend that you study your notes from our first unit on Autobiography and Memoir. Pay particular attention to our discussion of plot, tone, foreshadowing, theme, and other important literary devices. Come to class prepared!

Enjoy the weekend - enjoy your reading and studying!

No comments: