Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Homework for 4/26

Juniors:

I have to begin by saying that I wasn't all that impressed with the reading of Thoreau's "Resistance to Civil Government" - I expect that when I assign a piece to be read that you are going to read it, thoroughly with notes an annotations so that you are prepared to discuss it in class.  I would recommend that if you have been skating by that you go back and read the pieces that you missed before your exam on Thursday.

For your exam on Thursday you will be asked about six pieces in particular:
  • Longfellow's "The Tide Rises, the Tide Falls" and "Cross of Snow"
  • Thoreau's Walden and "Resistance to Civil Government"
  • Emerson's "Self Reliance" and "Nature"
You will be asked some very detailed multiple choice question about all of these pieces.  Be prepared.  There will also be some short answers on this exam.  You may be asked to finish the short answer at home as a take-home portion depending on time after the presentations on Thursday.

Tomorrow I will not be in class as I'll be with the 9th graders at NC State.  You will have a substitute and a film to watch which will help to review some of the main concepts of Romanticism and Transcendentalism.  I will take your film guide up on Thursday for a grade.

Tonight for homework you should begin to study for your exam, do any additional work needed for your Arab Spring presentations, and spend some time reading in your novels.  You will have a group meeting on Friday.

Freshmen:

Your homework is in the previous post.  Remember that I will not be checking your homework until class on Friday (A-day) and Monday (B-day).  It would be in your best interest to begin preparing for your Act II Exam. 

No comments: