Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homework for the Weekend - 9/27 and 9/28

And with that it's the end of September.  Onward to October, the end of the first nine weeks, and eventually Thanksgiving break.

Freshman Focus

You all don't have any homework over the weekend but you will want to make sure that you've read the two articles I gave you and thought about the overall questions for each article.  If you didn't get a chance to answer the overall questions, then you'll want to have those answered before walking in on Monday/Tuesday.

AP English III

Over the weekend I want for all of you to do some reading for me.  First, I want you to read E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake."  This piece can be found in 50 Essays or at this link.  Remember to read and annotate carefully.  Try to make links between this piece and many of the other Transcendental pieces we've studied.  In addition, I'd like for all of you to reread the final chapter of Grapes of Wrath - I think that after all of this Transcendentalism discussion you'll understand what Steinbeck is doing at the end of the novel.  Take a second look and let me know what you think.

Finally, be aware that we will be having our first unit test very soon.  The unit test will be on Grapes of Wrath and Transcendentalism.  It would be a good idea to begin reviewing and studying now.

English IV

For the weekend I would like for you all to spend some time preparing for your Book One exam.  You should study vocabulary from the vocabulary list and review chapters one through eight.  By this point you should have notes on all of the chapters; if you're missing something, ask me or a classmate.  Next week we will look at the Propaganda Project and we will begin watching the film version of 1984.  I started rewatching it last night and saw some really interesting things.  I'm looking forward to sharing this film with you all.

Lastly - progress reports went home today for A-day students.  B-day students will get their reports tomorrow.  Please get these signed and returned.  AP parents should be aware of the fact that summer assignment grades will likely go up once students begin to revise their assignments.

No comments: