Friday, April 11, 2008

Ideas for studying...

1. Instead of simply reading the definitions of the different literary devices in your textbook or online, write them out and then find examples of those devices and determine WHY that quote is an example of that literary device.

  • For example: simile - a comparison between two things using like or as. "Love is like a rose." This is a simile because it compares love to a rose (two unlike things) by using like.

2. Write practice questions for poems (either multiple choice or short answer) and attempt to answer them. This is especially effective in preparing for short answer.

3. Review the poems that we have studied in class - make sure that you know some basic information on these. Perhaps you would want to use your notes sheet to take notes.

4. Review any notes from poems that you have.

5. Some people find it useful to study in groups - remember that if you choose to do this you should focus on being productive and discussing the poetry.

That should do it. Remember to bring a pencil, pen and paper to the test. My supplies are running low and I will not be able to lend things to anyone on the test day.

2 comments:

Lee-Lee said...

mr.miller i dont have everything for me to study for our poetrycan u email me the study guide so i can study for this test plz thank you

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Mil Mil.

I forgot to bring my book home and i cannot find the poem "Daily" on the internet.
I dunno how often you check this, but if you could even just give the author, then I could find it.
Thanks a bunch!
AGM