1. It's interesting when you see people who can focus on what's important and those who cannot. There are so many examples of educators who just get lost in the sauce. They focus in on the minutia or the smallest detail instead of solidifying the system or the routine. Keep it simple. Focus on what matters most. Be sure that you can do the most important thing. Maybe the issue is that some people just can't prioritize.
2. People can clearly tell when you're putting in the effort and making things happen. I've had so many teachers say that they can recognize the work that I'm doing and that they appreciate what I did last year for them. I keep saying that it's good that I have a handle on what my role really is at this school. That knowledge ensures that I can actually do what I say and need to do.
3. I'm developing a bit of a followership here. There are people joining my teams, helping with initiatives, and coming on board not because they're forced to but because they want to. That makes me feel good about the work I'm doing. I've determined that this year my main foci are testing, advisory, supporting PLCs, providing professional development, and coaching teachers.
4. Doing what I want and moving forward with my decisions is better than waiting for a mealy-mouthed acceptance. I'm going to stop waiting for others who aren't on my level. If they can't match my pace, they can fall in line and follow.
5. I don't want things to fail. I know that my programs can work and support the teachers and learners at this school. I just need to keep maintaining the system and building the routine. It's going to be messy this year, and far from perfect, but I'm going to maintain my level of support so that it won't fail because of me.
So, with that, we prepare for Monday and students to arrive. I've sent out the Advisory lessons for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Materials are ready in the supply closet if they're requested. I'll be at my duty spot on Monday morning, and I'll go from there. We had a good meeting for the Advisory Council today, so I can take that to create some of the portfolio tasks that haven't been built out yet. That may end up being my Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment