What's been going well?
I think that the advisory program is going pretty well. There are a few holes to keep plugging (like substitutes and coverage for them), but teachers are feeling supported and provided for in the lessons that they're providing for students. The students seem to be enjoying the opportunity to explore, discuss, and develop relationships. It'll be interesting to see how the feedback comes back when we do some surveying of the experience.
I'm also recognizing that all of the relationships that I developed last year are still continuing to grow and develop. That work's been paying off. People keep seeing that I'm showing up, working hard, and trying to provide what they need to improve and provide for their students. It's good to be that person for others in a school. To be someone that others can rely on. I remember being so frustrated so often by so many administrators (still am) but at least I can be one that isn't frustrating to others.
What's challenging me?
The challenge is and continues to be testing. Getting everyone to do their testing training, getting everyone to come to sessions and meetings, it's just so much people management. I appreciated what one teacher said about how he tries to get it done quickly to remove some of the burden off of me. At least this year I have an idea of what to do and how to do it. Monday is going to be a day where I start to do more long-term prep for the next rounds of testing. At least once I get through October, testing is pretty much done until we get to January and EOCs/WIDA.
The other elements of challenge come from supporting teachers who have too much to do, especially our poor ML teachers. We have a large population of ML students here, and we don't have the staff we need to provide for them. I'm glad that the district jumped in to support us, but it's sad that we got that support because we were so far in the weeds. If they had done more to support from the beginning, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.
Anyway, next week looks to be a good one. I've got time on Monday to sit and work, so I'm looking forward to that. Today's AP Classroom audit went well, most of the kids are in the system and the teachers got rosters to make sure that those who aren't get added as soon as possible.
Off to adventures, and of course, bigger and better.
No comments:
Post a Comment